Thursday, September 07, 2006

I haven’t told you

that I have developed a fear of dogs since coming down to Honduras. I experienced the scariest moment that I can remember (well, getting on the plane and coming down here was kind of scary, but I mean terror scary…this coming from the girl that doesn’t watch scary movies) while on our little trip to the beach before school started. We were in search of a vegetarian meal and came to a place with a sign that looked promising. But there was a solid black gate that we had to open to get to the restaurant/hostel. We opened the door and stepped inside to find an open area with tables and chairs, and hallways that branched off to where I would guess that the guest rooms are. There was no one in sight so we called out hello. All of a sudden three GIANT, scary, pit-bull/Doberman-esque guard dogs came running at us full speed barking like they were totally going to eat us. I was with three other girls who all took off running toward the gate where we entered. For a split second I considered running, but the dog safety presentation from 5th grade student teaching stuck with me—that you shouldn’t run. By the time I had thought about running and hesitated I figured that they would have caught me anyway so in a sheer state of panic and terror I froze against the wall and watched as they chased my friends. Two made it out the gate and slammed it shut while another girl jumped up on a chair. I frantically started yelling in Spanish for someone to come help. Finally a woman appeared and I was able to produce enough words to ask her to please stop her dogs from eating me. She assured me that my life was not in danger and with my legs trembling I tried to walk and find the other teachers. All of us shaking we made our way back to the cabana. At this point it is dusk, but more dark than dusk and Emily says, “What is THAT?!?” I didn’t want to know. But apparently there was a crazy animal that resembled something out of the Princess Bride. Like a weird beaver/grizzly bear offspring. That probably isn’t a very good description, but then again, I didn’t look at the crazy thing so imagine what you like. All I know is we walked faster and didn’t make eye contact.

Branching off in the creepy crawly direction…I should let you know the cockroach status in my life. Many of you have heard the stories of my previous time spent in Honduras and the numerous cockroaches that were present. I have only seen one cockroach in my house so far and—I wasn’t allowed to kill it. No, I am not killing. One of my roommates is extremely bug friendly so she actually carries bugs out of our house. I know that the cockroach got tossed over our neighbor’s wall (so mean, hey).

Yesterday my friend Anna (1st grade teacher) and I were sitting in the office during one of our free periods working on school stuff when a gecko fell from the ceiling and onto her leg. I thought maybe there was a leak in the ceiling or something, but no. Small lizard creature from above. So funny.

Now some funnies from my classroom :) One of my more energetic students, Melvin, was coming into class wearing a backpack that was full and hanging open, carrying a plastic briefcase full of his art supplies, a water bottle and his lunch. Now picture him running toward me at full speed to give me a hug. He trips over his feet and crashes to the floor unable to get up. I couldn’t help it, I had to chuckle. He looked so cute and helpless and confused all at once. I love this kid.

Today one of the larger, eh plumper kids in my class got stuck in his new drum set. He came into the room after band practice and I had to stop teaching in order to help him break free!

Tomorrow is Día del Niño—little kids day. Pretty cool, every kid’s dream! We just have school from 9-noon to play games, eat food, and have a piñata. I’m excited to get to play with my kids all day tomorrow. I’m excited to get to sleep in a little longer. Today after school I fell asleep in the hammock despite the super duper annoying neighbor on his little Casio keyboard playing the same 4 notes over and over for hours this afternoon.

Peace out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what an adorable class of students you have :) I can almost picture them :) Have a great weekend, Sarah.

6:49 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Hey you! That beaver-grizzly critter almost sounds like a capybara (totally harmless giant rodent), but I don't think they are in Honduras at all. Here's a picture if that helps...
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/tanya_dewey/capybara.jpg/view.html

11:31 AM  
Blogger La Gringa said...

Hi Sarah! I've read your whole blog and plan to visit again. I hope your time in Honduras goes well.

I'm an American living in La Ceiba and I know how hard it can be. If you want to know more, my blog is http://lagringasblogicito.blogspot.com

Please lay off the Deet! No matter what they say, that stuff isn't good for you -- especially if you already have open bites on your legs. Try rubbing some herbs on your exposed skin to repel them. Maybe lemon grass or even lemon rind might help. Avon Skin-so-soft is also supposed to be good to repel mosquitos.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

I wish I had a casio keyboard!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home